Wednesday, Oct. 21, 2015
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Symphony 5
Workshop A: CARN & CARN-AP Review Course (CEU: 8)Al Rundio, Jr., PhD, DNP, RN, APRN, NEA-BC, CARN-AP, DPNAP, FIAAN, Clinical Professor of Nursing; Chair DrNP Program, Drexel University, College of Nursing and Health Professions, Egg Harbor Township, N.J.
This is a survey course that prepares the participant for the CARN (Certified Addictions Registered Nurse) and CARN-AP (Certified Addictions Registered Nurse – Advanced Practice) certification examinations.
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Symphony 6Workshop B: Addictions 101: An Addictions Treatment Primer (CEU: 8)
William Lorman, PhD, MSN, PMHNP-BC, CARN-AP, Chief Clinical Officer, Livengrin Foundation, Inc., Bensalem, Penn.
Open to LPNs and RNs who feel they need basic information on addictions.
- Describe the final common pathway for reward and pleasure.
- List the intoxication and withdrawal syndromes for at least 3 categories of drugs.
- Describe the assessment and treatment issues for the patient in detox.
- Identify at least 3 ways patients’ attitudes and behaviors influence our ability to treat them
12:30 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. Symphony 7
Workshop C: Evidenced based psychopharmacology for substance use disorders (CEU: 4)Susanne Astrab Fogger, DNP, CRNP, PMHNP-BC, CARN-AP, FAANP; University of Alabama at BirminghamDana Murphy-Parker, MS, CRNP, PMHNP-BC, CARN-AP; Drexel University College of Nursing and Health Professions
- Review neurobiology of addiction.
- Assess the difference between Substance Use Disorders, Substance-Induced Disorders, and co-occurring primary Mental Health disorders.
- Discuss evidence based psychopharmacology for mental health co-occurring disorders with a focus on mood and anxiety disorder.
- Identify three side effects and management techniques for first line medications treatment for alcohol, tobacco, & opioid use disorders.